What are Custom Orthotics?
Orthotics are inserts that comfortably fit into shoes that are designed to support and improve the function of your feet. Health care practitioners prescribe orthotics to patients suffering from chronic foot, lower limb or spinal problems, and for athletes to help maximize performance during sport. Central Avenue Health Centre provides custom orthotics for preventative measures or relief of existing issues.
Orthotics provide relief and prevention of:
- Achilles Tendonitis
- Shin Splits
- Heel or Arch Pain
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome
- Stress Fractures
- Plantar Fasciitis
Importance of Foot Care
Your feet are complex system of bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons which make an impact on your body with every step they take. The improper support of your feet will have an effect on joints higher up the kinetic chain (i.e. ankle, knee, hip and spine) and may result in pain or discomfort in the body. Your feet make up 25% of the bones in your body which makes foot care vital for your overall health.
Achieving the Proper Fit
- The chiropractor will perform a gait scan and foam impression
- The toe box should have lots of room; make sure you can wiggle your toes.
- Ensure the width fits properly.
- Your heel should be stable within the heel counter.
- Take the Custom Orthotics with you when purchasing shoes.
- The shoes should feel comfortable the moment you try them on.
To book an Orthotic appointment or to find out more information on insurance requirements for custom-made Orthotics please call us on (306) 651-2225 or visit us Central Avenue Health Centre in Saskatoon.